Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cautionary Tales for New Parents/Investors

I'm thrilled to see that there has been quite a lot of dialogue surrounding this subject matter. It's important to keep up the chatter so new parents realize that they have options for RESPs beyond the aggressive sales tactics of Heritage Education Funds. I applaud you all for sharing your feedback!

While most of you seem to have unfortunately seen the light, I see there are people in support of Heritage Education Funds. Some who have very specific accounting type info... I'm not at all suggesting you are an employee of the company ;)... and others who seem to have gotten lucky or rather, their luck has not yet run out. Give it time... there is always a wrinkle.

Since my original post, I've been through an investigation involving said company for which OBSI, an Ombudsman, was required (supported by Heritage Education Funds). It took well over a year to go through the whole process! I wrote countless emails, letters of complaint, forms had to be filled out and telephone conversations had to be written out and emailed/faxed to all involved parties.

In the end, we lost thousands of dollars and I still have to contribute monthly until my child goes to school. Otherwise, I would have lost even more or all of my contributions if I'd chosen to let my account go dormant. All over a clerical error made on the part of a Heritage employee! What a nightmare. I'm holding my breath until the day comes when we need to withdraw the money. I'm quite certain that will not go smoothly. Sounds all doom and gloom but given their track record...

A word of unsolicited advice... not matter who you are dealing with... PLEASE KEEP RECORDS OF ALL YOUR CONVERSATIONS IN PERSON, EMAIL & TELEPHONE FROM THE BEGINNING OF YOUR PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIPS. It could save you and your family a lot of grief in future dealings should anything go wrong.

7 comments:

  1. Heritage has thousands and thousands of positiive stories of children who have gone on to post secondary and have received there money in the proper time frame. There is many things they have done to help or add to the RESP industry that all provider's are using today. No company is perfect, from my experience I have always found Heritage to always put the children first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say that I have not met anyone who is happy with Heritage Education Funds. In fact, I've had parents who've recently signed on with Heritage tell me about the ill feeling in the pit of their stomachs after signing on the dotted line. People should feel good after making a commitment to their child's future!

      Financial advisers have reviewed our contract/statements and a lot of disapproving comments were made. One of the disconcerting aspects of Heritage is the aggressive manner in which they pursue a client. A family may think that Heritage makes sense but I would strongly encourage them to seek out other options that will have a better return with less worry. This particular Group plan is just too much trouble for what it is worth. If I could, I'd take it all back.

      Delete
    2. I too have been taken to the cleaners by Heritage Education Funds. $5000 in contributions and government grants gone. Told because I couln't continue monthly contributions to the plan, that I no longer own it and will never be able to access it. Furthermore the plan was insured for disabilty, but after being injured at work they refused to pay my contributions, stating "I was injured when the plan and insurance were purchased"
      This is complete BS as the stacks of medical evidence I have proove.

      Delete

    3. Hi, I am a student and a recent victim of Heritage. They robbed me and my family of 10000 dollars, and like a lot of the other people here we did not see this coming. See, heritage has dirty'd the lens that society looks through and as create an honorable image about itself which it portrays to society. This is obviously not the case and it is time somebody cleans that lens and exposes Heritage's true colors. Myself and an investigative journalist are starting a film series called Exposed. The first episode, Heritage. The idea is simple, we make Heritage famous through a viral film. Then use that fame to expose them for what they really are and focusing societies attention on these scam artist. With enough attention we can demand for a change. Currently, we are beginning to gather proof of this scam. This includes: electronic signatures, documents, interviews with people that are wiling to stand up for themselves, interviews with Heritage, aggressive sales tactics/marketing schemes and related court cases. We need your help though, this blog is a great start and there lots of people here who are also victims. People that could help in bringing down these crooks. Email me, thejalger01@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, gled I'm not the only one who has been ripped off by these scammers. Heritage is not worried about your childrens education, as they would have you believe but only about lining their own pockets with your hard earned money. Call upon your elected officials to STOP this criminal behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contacting your local elected official is very good advice! I'm curious... did you? I don't mean that harshly or judgmentally... I'm actually wondering if someone has done this and what the outcome may have been.

      If anyone has taken some sort of action please share your story so that we too may be able to put a STOP or at least a thorn into Heritage's side.

      Delete

    2. Hi, I am a student and a recent victim of Heritage. They robbed me and my family of 10000 dollars, and like a lot of the other people here we did not see this coming. See, heritage has dirty'd the lens that society looks through and as create an honorable image about itself which it portrays to society. This is obviously not the case and it is time somebody cleans that lens and exposes Heritage's true colors. Myself and an investigative journalist are starting a film series called Exposed. The first episode, Heritage. The idea is simple, we make Heritage famous through a viral film. Then use that fame to expose them for what they really are and focusing societies attention on these scam artist. With enough attention we can demand for a change. Currently, we are beginning to gather proof of this scam. This includes: electronic signatures, documents, interviews with people that are wiling to stand up for themselves, interviews with Heritage, aggressive sales tactics/marketing schemes and related court cases. We need your help though, this blog is a great start and there lots of people here who are also victims. People that could help in bringing down these crooks. Email me, thejalger01@gmail.com

      Delete